Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peebles...and 'pubbing' (December, Tuesday 9th)



Today the guys and girls separated. The guys went ‘pubbing’ and the girls went to Peebles (to see where mum was born).

Guys will be guys so there isn’t that much to report, but seeing where mum was born was great! The Kingsmeadows House is an old estate that is now owned by an insurance company where their employees can go on holiday.

We were let into the estate by the groundskeeper and got to see some of the main rooms. I could live in a house like this!!  There was an actual small exhibit in one of the main rooms that outlined the history of the estate and showed the timeframe when the estate was turned into a maternity ward during the war (see slideshow). Mum was happy to see inside because in the past when her and gran visited someone was still living in the house and you could only go to the gate.

We did some light shopping today like locals: visited the bakery in Peebles, the seafood shop in Melrose and the Co-op in Jedburgh.

The pace of life here is really great and the people are fantastic. We are not sure how the locals know we aren’t from around these parts, but even before we speak they know…must be that we don’t look like others around here. Not sure…

2 comments:

Beth and Weldon said...

Thank you so much for doing this blog. It truly is a gift to us back home. :) I'm LOVING following you on your trip. Each photo slide show that I watch makes me cry just a little bit. :) I can feel the ancientness of the places through the photos, and I can see what a perfect time you're having together. And I know it's nothing like the emotion of really being there. Can't wait to talk to all of you guys when you get home!
Much love!

Be Fit With Biray said...

Loved the "Burn Tums and Thighs" fitness poster. LOL! How cute! Did you get a peek in? I wonder if they do sit-ups differently in Scotland. LOL.